On Sep 22, 2009, at 3:20 AM, Charlie Bell wrote:

I agree with Bruce that in general lessons ascribed to Jesus are about love and acceptance of the other.

That's the widely perceived view of them, yes. Doesn't totally hold water if you actually read the New Testament, but yes - if people tried to act a bit nicer to each other we'd be better off.

The New Testament comes from a variety of sources and at least a couple of major generations of editing and translation, though. See the research done by the Jesus Seminar, which did a lot of work on tracking down authenticity of the gospel texts virtually word by word, with interesting and somewhat revealing results. Among other things, there were some appallingly bad translators working for King James, and one in particular whose work was of such poor quality that they could actually trace which passages he worked on by characteristic errors. ("Camel through the eye of a needle" was one of his more spectacular goofs.)

There was also a lot of content rejected from the canonical Bible around the time Christianity ceased to be an underground religion and became an official state religion, under Constantine, most notably at the First Council of Nicaea, and a lot of the content that *was* included tended to be more supportive of the idea of centralized church authority, based on surviving examples of books omitted from the canonical version. So, I find the New Testament less than authoritative as a whole in terms of how well it conveys the message. Others may disagree.

There are entire dissertations' worth of theological discussion under this rock, though, and a lot of the subject is rather controversial, particularly within circles where belief in the literal truth of the entire Bible is an article of faith. But that's the tip of the iceberg ..

"Almost nothing that trickles down is fit to consume." -- Davidson Loehr