Anna said:

"you're saying Mixed is already sidelined... "

Well I think that the majority of teams devote more time to Open /
Womens than to Mixed.  A lot of the top Mixed teams are just pickup
teams that don't train together.  Mixed *is* important, for player
development too.

I agree that Mixed is more inviting to new uni players.  Having the
Mixed season early is more likely to bring new university players into
the Mixed tour since they are less likely to play after term ends.  A
lot of uni teams can field mixed teams, and this is a good
introduction to the Open and Womens tours that occur later in the
season.  A lot of our (Haze) freshers were almost scared of the Open
tour, but we got a mixed team out to MT1.  After that the next events
were exam times and then they've all gone their separate ways.

Keeping the Mixed tour early makes it more accessible, so we get more
guys and girls playing Mixed, and we can use it as a springboard for
the Open / Womens tours.

"Dave's idea of contacting each team directly "

I sent my email just before I read Dave's email... apologies (I was
really responding to Lewis's 'call for action').  But I think this
kind of discussion is important to have in the public arena too -
someone might make a really good point that no-one else thought of
that might change all our minds.

Brummie