As far as the North/South vs East/West question goes, if you know where you want your signal to go, then you should absolutely orient your dipole broadside to that direction. If you don't know where you want your signal to go, or don't yet care, then do what people typically do and put it up in whichever direction is most convenient. If you've got the money, the time, and the space, you can always set up two of them at right angles to each other and switch between them, depending on which one brings in the louder signal.

As far as making it straight goes (I think that's what you're asking, if it's not, then please correct me) then as long as the legs aren't too close together it won't have a huge effect on the radiation pattern. A right angle is probably not "too close". I don't believe that the radiation will be substantially less efficient, but you may get the energy directed in a peculiar direction. The thing is, unless you know what you're trying to achieve, the thing to do is to put something up and see what you get. If you find that you communicate really well to nowhere you want to talk to, then consider making changes or even trying your hand at some modelling to see what it's really doing.

The thing to understand is that all antennas interact with the environment that they're in. That means that unless it's well isolated from nearly everything your signal will go off in weird directions because it's near the metal in your house or a shed or a fence or whatever. Trying to anticipate that is of limited use, and probably not worth the effort until you know what you're trying to do.