as a distinctly average php user and a newcomer to cake i'll add my thoughts here for what it's worth.

The fact that Cake is (or can be) such a powerful framework is a double-edged sword - serious developers use it to solve common problems quickly and speed up development of complex apps

but 'newbies' are probably seeing the hype and thinking it's a short-cut to actually putting in the time to learn PHP - it's getting seen as quicker to learn Cake then to actually understand the fundamentals of creating a database connection or knowing the ins and outs of the MVC model.

IMO that's why there are so many 'newbie' php questions and a lack of searching for questions that have been asked again and again.

I think most people who post these 'simple' question have searched but just maybe done searches for a couple of simple keywords and phrases, haven't found the answer they want in the first two or three results of each search so they post a question.

If a set of FAQs is relevant, evolves with the community and is kept updated then it's never a waste of time. I'd strongly suggest that it includes sample code cause otherwise there'll be a load of posts on the group that begin 'i saw this in the faq but how do i actually use it in my app?'

just my 2p... but it seems like something needs to be done to prevent the problem that's been identified from getting out of hand and swamping the group on google.