"I get inordinate bloat in the project explorer"

What do you mean by this? If you create your project correctly (I just
use general project then switch to the php perspective), you should
only have one .project file that's in your project explorer. When you
use the other project types like Java and even PHP project it will
create a folder structure it thinks you should use. Maybe that's what
you're referring to? Give the general project setup a try. As well, if
you're using SVN there will be all the needed files for that. I
usually perform an Export out of SVN to clean all that up before
putting the files on my production server.