You all are on the right track but I see some confusion about the
delay in the ntp sync process. It is important to understand how ntp
sync occurs, and in the process answering several of the questions
that get asked here in this thread and in the past.

Recommended reading:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps556/prod_white_paper0900aecd8037fdb5.html

This is an excerpt of a source on unix ntp, which is all very much the
same as they all follow RFC

from:http://www.akadia.com/services/ntp_synchronize.html
 "...the process starts when the NTP client sends a packet containing
its timestamp to a server. When the server receives such a packet, it
will in turn store its own timestamp and a transmit timestamp into the
packet and send it back to the client. When the client receives the
packet it will log its receipt time in order to estimate the
travelling time of the packet.

The packet exchange takes place until a NTP server is accepted as a
synchronization source, which take about five minutes."

Check out the exact calculation of ntp
at:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol#Clock_synchronization_algorithm

So in the cisco world, the IOS follows the RFC but there are some bugs
to watch out for. I have hit all of these in the field and lab at some
point and had them bookmarked so I pasted them below. The most
important thing to note is your IOS version.

To sum it up:

-ntp master sets the router to its own clock, causing the ntp status
to "sync right away" as others have noticed.By no means does that make
a requirement met on a lab =)
-Use the ntp source command
-Be watchful of these bugs.
-Even if you have configuration  requirements met, your odds are you
will need to reboot the router based off the bugs and IOS versions
below.
-NTP sync to a peer other than itself takes time.
-generally don't use ntp master to avoid the bug and good practice as
there are many more valid NTP sources out there.

One other thing I see people trip up on is SNTP. This is the Windows
implementation of time through w32time service. These are not operable
between a router or other NTP(CUCM) device unless the service is
disabled and a ntp server is installed on the box locally. I have seen
others complain about syncing the router to the cucm but never
achieving sync; yet after hours to find out that it was the CUCM that
was not syncd because of SNTP/NTP between CUCM/Win2003. Now in NTPv4
there are SNTP definitions. NTP has been around for as long as I have
been alive, the RFCs are well known and one of the slowest changing
standards. Check them out, they are a good read.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1305  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5905

CSCsu36827
Symptoms: The CUE clock does not synch up with the CME using NTP.
Conditions: This symptom is observed when the UC500 is configured as the NTP
master.
Workaround: Use an external NTP server other than the UC500.
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsu36827&from=summary

CSCtf88705
Symptom:
NTP sync lost after failover and ip change on an interface.
Workaround:
Remove and reconfigure NTP
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtf88705&from=summary

CSCsw28386
Symptom:
NTP sync fails after routing failover
Conditions:
The problem occurs with 12.4(22)T.
The problem does not occur with 12.4(23).
Workaround:
reload the device or reconfigure ntp
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsw28386&from=summary

CSCsj68446
Symptoms:
NTP may not sync, When a device is configured to receive NTP packets
and its receiving
NTP packets, but not processing it at all. The NTP packets seem to get
ignored by the NTP
process.
Conditions:
-When virtual interfaces are deleted and added again.
- And in other conditions.
- It is independent of platforms.
Frequency:
Rare Case
Impact:It may affect timing synchronization.
Workaround:
Re-configure NTP, would solve the issue. Issuing "no ntp" command
twice would solve the issue.
Reloading the box, will re-start the NTP process and it works fine.
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsj68446&from=summary

CSCei77073
NTP client need to reset auto learnt source IP address
Release-note:
-------------
The Cisco IOS NTP uses the same source IP address to send packets even
if it deosnot
get reply via that interface. This is not applicable for source configured via
*ntp source* command.
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCei77073&from=summary

CSCsw30737
NTP does not synchronize if both ntp master and ntp server configured
Symptom:
NTPv4 does not synchronize with IOS 12.4(20)T and later releases. The
router does not even synchronize with its own internal clock.
Conditions:
Need to have both ntp master and ntp server configured.
If only NTP master or NTP server is configured, the router can
synchronize fine with the defined time source.
Workaround:
If configuring only "ntp master" or "ntp server", the router will synchronize
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsw30737&from=summary