Dear Phil,

thanks for your answers!

Phil Jeffrey wrote:
3. On the one hand I think it would help, since you account for a large proportion if intra-molecular (self) vectors, although obviously not the inter-molecular (cross) vectors. On the other hand, what you're essentially doing is symmetrizing the probe Patterson from P1 to the point group of the target (unknown) at each rotation point, and since the unknown already has that symmetry it may yet prove to be mostly redundant since the rotation function is a product function. In the back of my mind I'm wondering if it is equivalent to averaging the product of the two Pattersons about the crystallographic symmetry, at any given trial rotation, which is already done by virtue of the symmetry of the unknown.

It this point that I had in my mind. I would like to account simultaneously for_all_ symmetry-equivalent intra-molecular Patterson vectors at once. Since the intra-molecular Patterson vectors of all symmetry copies of the true structure fall into the same sphere around the origin, any true orientation of the search molecule will have its P1 Patterson self-vectors overlapping both with the self-vectors of the corresponding true molecule, which will add to the signal, _and_ with the self-vectors from its symmetry copies, which will add to the noise. Fitting them all simultaneously by applying the rotational symmetry of the space group to the P1 self-vectors of the search molecule would result in a Patterson overlap with all self-vectors of the true structure at once. This should enhance the signal-to-noise ratio of the orientation search.
What do you and others think about this?

Best regards,

Dirk.

Dirk Kostrewa
Paul Scherrer Institut