Gerard DVD Kleywegt wrote:

will add to the noise. Fitting them all simultaneously by applying the rotational symmetry of the space group to the P1 self-vectors of the search molecule would result in a Patterson overlap with all self-vectors of the true structure at once. This should enhance the signal-to-noise ratio of the orientation search.
What do you and others think about this?

not sure if i understand entirely what you mean, but if i do, then i don't think it will work ;-) due to the crystallographic symmetry *both* the signal *and* the noise will be identical for the N orientations, so you're not improving the signal to noise ratio at all.

... sounds absolutely logical! Apparently, my idea was not that brilliant ;-) It was spooking in my head for a while, and now I can safely lay it to rest.
Thanks Phil and Gerard for your responses and clarifications!

Best regards,

Dirk.

Dirk Kostrewa
Paul Scherrer Institut