Thanks the CCP4 bulletin board for interesting and helpful discussions like
this.

Personally, I think either inflating B-factors of the sidechain or putting
occupancy at zero is acceptable. The latter is stricter and scientifically
sound, but also harder to handle. How do you define visible and non-visible?
I am sure that at certain signal/noise ratio, you are going to see something
on the density map?

The concern is actually how not to confuse the regular users of our
structures. It is not helpful that there are several approaches to treat the
same problem and even we crystallographers don't agree with each other. It
is up to PDB and the program developers or some other organizations to come
up with a standard way. Pick one of the options above or invent something
new. It doesn't have to be the perfect option. But, it would be much easier
to educate non-crystallographers how to notice disordered regions and for
visualization programs to give warning notes to their users.

By the way, the thread started with the question about Lys sidechain on the
surface. How many of you think the conformation of it could actually help
interpret biological phenomena? Isn't it supposed to be flexible in
solution? Even if we have clear densities for it at high resolution, it is
likely just stabilized by other partners in the crystal and thus artificial,
right?

Rui