Most of halophilic proteins are highly charged; you might like to check
their crystallisation conditions in the pdb.

For example, Hm MalDH, a halophilic protein (pI 4.5), was crystallised by
reverse vapour diffusion from high salt in presence of MPD.
See: Costenaro, L., Zaccai, G., and Ebel, C. (2001). Understanding the
crystallisation of an acidic protein by dilution in the ternary NaCl -
2-methyl-2,4-pentanediol - H2O system. J. Crystal Growth 232, 102-113.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0248(01)01150-2

The driving force behind is depletion of MPD molecules around the charged
surface of the protein, when the salt concentration and screening decrease.
Regards,

Dr. Lionel Costenaro

Institut de Biologia Molecular de Barcelona - CSIC
Parc Cientific de Barcelona
Josep Samitier 1-5
08028 Barcelona, Spain

Phone    +34 93 403 49 57