I would agree that the difference is suspiciously high. I. Tickle and others have published analytical expressions for how to estimate the ratio between R and Rfree, just google for "tickle rfree" to find the references.

You easily achieve a large difference by adding too many waters which just model noise. There may be other reasons for which more knowledge about the structure is required. Do you have large unmodelled regions, like loops that do not show in the density map?

Tim

--
Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie