Dear Sun,

If we take Ian's formula for the ratio of R(free) to R(work) from his
paper Acta D56 (2000) 442-450 and make some reasonable approximations,
we can reformulate it as:

R(free)/R(work) = sqrt[(1+Q)/(1-Q)]  with  Q = 0.025pd^3(1-s)

where s is the fractional solvent content, d is the resolution, p is
the effective number of parameters refined per atom after allowing for
the restraints applied, d^3 means d cubed and sqrt means square root.

The difficult number to estimate is p. It would be 4 for an isotropic
refinement without any restraints. I guess that p=1.5 might be an
appropriate value for a typical protein refinement (giving an R-factor
ratio of about 1.4 for s=0.6 and d=2.8). In that case, your R-factor
ratio of 0.277/0.215 = 1.29 is well within the allowed range!

However it should be added that this formula is almost a
self-fulfilling prophesy. If we relax the geometric restraints we
increase p, which then leads to a larger 'allowed' R-factor ratio!

Best wishes, George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,