Hi Sun Tang

Unfortunately there's no such thing as a fixed value for the maximum acceptable
Rfree-Rwork difference that applies in all circumstances, because the 'normal'
difference depends on a number of factors, mainly the observation/parameter
ratio, which depends in turn on the resolution and the solvent content (a
greater solvent content means a bigger cell volume which means more reflections
for a given number of ordered atoms in the a.u. and hence a bigger obs/param
ratio).  The Rfree-Rwork difference also depends on Rwork itself (i.e. you tend
to get higher values of Rfree-Rwork for higher values of Rwork), so it's better
to think in terms of the Rfree/Rwork ratio (which is independent of Rwork).

So for example at very high resolution a 'normal' value for Rfree-Rwork might
be only 0.02 (so 0.05 which is what many people consider acceptable would
actually be unacceptably high), whereas at low resolution it might be 0.1 (so
0.05 would be unacceptably low).  Also you need to bear in mind that Rfree
tends to have a quite high uncertainty, particularly at low resolution (because
it's usually based on a relatively small number of observations), so the
deviation has to be quite big (e.g. > 3 SU) before it can be considered to be
statistically significant.

So Rfree needs to be compared not with Rwork at all but with the value of the
optimal Rfree/Rwork expected on the basis that the model parameterisation and
weighting of X-ray terms and restraints are optimal and the errors in the model
have the same effect as the random experimental errors in the data (i.e. a
statistical 'null hypothesis').  As Tim just pointed out we tried to do this in
our Acta D (1998) papers: there you can compare your observed Rfree/Rwork ratio
either with the theoretical value or with the value found for 'typical'
structures in the PDB at the same resolution.

An abnormal Rfree/Rwork ratio could arise from a number of causes, not just
over-fitting (I assume that's what you mean by 'over-refinement' - it's not
clear to me how a structure can be 'over-refined' since a fundamental
requirement of the maximum likelihood method is that the structure is always
refined to convergence, and refining beyond that will by definition produce no
further statistically significant changes in the parameters).

For example the number of parameters being refined may be either too low, or
too high (over-fitting), or the values of the weighting parameters may not be
appropriate, or there may be something badly wrong with the atomic model (e.g.
mistraced chain).  Given the values you are reporting I think the latter is
very unlikely, possibly you just need to tweak the X-ray and/or restraint
weights.

HTH

Cheers

-- Ian

Disclaimer
This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information
intended solely for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed
except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you are not the intended
recipient you must not review, use, disclose, copy, distribute or take any
action in reliance upon it. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify Astex Therapeutics Ltd by emailing [EMAIL PROTECTED] and destroy
all copies of the message and any attached documents.
Astex Therapeutics Ltd monitors, controls and protects all its messaging
traffic in compliance with its corporate email policy. The Company accepts no
liability or responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and
attachments having left the Astex Therapeutics domain.  Unless expressly
stated, opinions in this message are those of the individual sender and not of
Astex Therapeutics Ltd. The recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of computer viruses. Astex Therapeutics Ltd
accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment,
and tampering, Astex Therapeutics Ltd only send and receive e-mails on the
basis that the Company is not liable for any such alteration or any
consequences thereof.
Astex Therapeutics Ltd., Registered in England at 436 Cambridge Science Park,
Cambridge CB4 0QA under number 3751674