Hi,

Sorry for the long post - this stirred some memories. Feel free not to read
below this line :)

--this line--

The suggestion to store frozen crystals brings to mind an old (and bad!)
Soviet science fiction novel (The Seller of Air) - only instead of storing
liquified oxygen, we're looking at the rise of the Protein Crystal
Authority: a massive underground structure with interior facilities that are
maintained at LN2 temperature, and where support staff gingerly roams the
frozen halls in modified space suits. A change of shift conversation between
two serious, mustachioed, pipe-smoking men comes to the mind's eye:

"How're things today, Roger?"
"Oh not too bad Frank - we shipped out 1671 crystals with only two empty
loops so far. Which reminds me - please get the cryo-team to cut two
flash-frozen interns out of sector 17, the robots keep bumping into them"

I can also see the following scenario unfold: a specific crystal is
retreived from storage - but it does not diffract (or better yet, it's a
ball of ice). Now ask yourself - is it an honest issue - storage problems,
X-ray induced decay, or something -- or the intelligent fraudster simply
submitted some known junk crystals to the repository, knowing that nothing
can be proven definitively one way or another? Let's also consider difficult
cases such as GPCRs where the full dataset may be derived from 20-30
crystals each of which only survived 30 seconds of exposure. What do we do
then? Ask the experimenters to submit 35 more crystals, just in case there
are questions later?

---

As far as I know, it is standard practice to assume that authors are
innocent, until sufficient evidence is produced to the contrary. Burden of
proof is on the investigating parties - simply because for every 1 case of
dishonesty there are hundreds of thousands of honest papers. Would you make
all of us store used-up crystals?

As long as people publish most of the details necessary to reproduce the
materials (protein samples and crystals) used in structure determination -
the crystals may be reproduced 'by persons skilled in the art'. There is no
need to even store or distribute specific plasmid/clone DNA samples any more
as long as relevant DNA sequences are retained (thank you, synthetic DNA
providers!).

In my opinion the real problem in biology (and increasingly in chemistry) is
that people often do not publish enough details for the work to be easily
reproducible. This is to a great degree the result of journals allowing
'materials and methods' sections that elicit a reflex "golly, a whole
paragraph of text!" response and are printed in font size 3. No need to
point fingers - we all know which journals let this happen. In their partial
defense - supplementary materials are supposed to be the new destination of
methods and such, but not everyone uses them and even those are often
incomplete or sloppy.

We cannot practically hope for the return of the halcyon years when certain
German chemistry publications insisted that synthetic procedures are
successfully reproduced in an independent lab prior to publication. This
obviously isn't going to happen - it'd be impractical, expensive, and slow.
However, when we review papers (especially papers describing truly novel and
interesting results) we have all the right to insist on publication of
detailed methods.

Artem

---
When the Weasel comes to give New Year's greetings to the Chickens no good
intentions are in his mind.