On 12/26/22 19:46, Chris via cctalk wrote:
>  Not all compilers were designed specifically to run on an ibm pc. If the
> compiler itself utilzes bios fumction calls to display anything, it will not
> run on anything but an pc or compatible. If you're referring to saving object
> code to disk, well I giess that's a good question. But there were compilers
> prior to tje 5150, and even after, a few of which, I have to imagine, had
> some other means to save files.

It seems to me that you're conflating the IBM PC BIOS and MS-DOS.   LC
was available for a wide variety of platforms. We ran Lattice on a
non-PC compatible (80186 with no memory-mapped display) To quote the
page I pointed to:

"Lattice C was ported to MVS, VMS, Unix, OS/2, Amiga, Atari ST, and
Sinclair."

My point being that the file I/O of the system hosting the compiler
would be used. If you're running it on an x86-based MSDOS OS, you'll use
MSDOS I/O.   That does not imply a PC, only an x86 machine that can host
MSDOS.

If you want vintage, I think that there's a K&R C source on github:

https://github.com/AoiMoe/knrcc

Some time ago, I revisited some code I wrote in the late 1970s-early
1980s and found that gcc didn't like it at all.

As mentioned, there are a host of C cross-compilers.

--Chuck