At no point was I asking for or expecting a recommendation of a compiler with
an ide. In fact it never entered my mind. If QuickC would run lock, stock, and
barrel on a Northstar Dimension I wouldn't be asking for anything. I did say
the compiler couldn't rely on typical IBM PC facilities to talk to the screen.
Then you brought up disk (file) i/o, which was a perfectly valid point, and I
said so. So in the final analysis I guess I'll be writing w hatever on a "real"
pc. Sorry for wasting the list's time. What I wanted may not exist.

Were you referring to the Poppy? How did programs talk to the disk drive?
On Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 01:04:00 AM EST, Chuck Guzis via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

 On 12/26/22 21:23, Chris via cctalk wrote:
>  I'm not conflating anything. Most of the time screen i/o is accomplished
>using bios calls. That's with ms-dos/pc-dos software (whatever the percentage
>of the time). But it's feally irrelevant if it's dos compatible or not, as any
>code can make use of the bios subroutines. That's an immediate show stopper if
>you can't get feedback from the compiler. Please no references to early time
>sharing
Sure you are.  Lattice had no IDE; it was strictly command-line
driven--if the input required a text editor, it was up to you to furnish
one.   If the MSDOS hosting system used a BIOS, fine.  But not all did.
Consider the MSDOS platforms that interfaced to a simple serial
terminal.  In any case, console and file I/O is done via the DOS API.
How DOS does things is no concern of the compiler.

This is the way before fancy screen I/O that we did things.  Before
that, it was with punched cards.

--Chuck