On 5/25/24 08:14, Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:

> Yes, the Bendix G-15 was said to be the first personal computer. It was
> as big as a refrigerator, and weighed a LOT more, and drew much more
> power.  (300 vacuum tubes, 3000 Germanium diodes,  drum memory.)  but,
> one guy could program it and run it.
>
> The LINC comes in a close second.

Offhand, if I were King of the World, I'd immediately eliminate from
competition those computers that cannot be run from a US 120 volt 15 amp
wall receptacle.   The rationale being that anything that requires
special power wiring cannot be "personal"

So, for example, the PB-250 qualifies; the IBM 1130 does not.  The
Honeywell H316 "Kitchen computer" probably does, in the sense of intent,
but it was never produced for mass consumption.

I recall a short-lived 60's attempt at a personal data retrieval device
(cassette tape storage)--I don't think it had any computational
capabilities, so probably not a computer per se.   Anyone remember the name?

--Chuck