Been out of the office for a few days, as I had to go to a funeral.

My 2 pence worth!!

The strongest argument in favour of a more liberal approach to this whole
issue is the fact that criminalisation and illegalisation hasn't worked!!
The international black market in drug trafficking is worth a MASSIVE amount
of money. There is so much money at stake that governments are completely
unable to match the investment that drug traffickers can put into their
smuggling operations.

It's not that the governments of the world are losing this battle, the
battle has already been lost.

Now, take a leap for a second a say, Ok, criminalizing this hasn't worked.
People are still going to buy and sell drugs. There is a demand, and supply.
So regulate it. Control it by legalisation, take back some of that black
market economy that is disappearing at the moment. The tax collected could
be put back into the problem, for treatment and education. The crime
associated with drugs, petty theft and burglary largely (property crimes),
could be cut down. The police could target their resources on preventing
more serious crime.

I know this is an unpopular position, and I know that the chances of this
ever happening are so slim as to be inconceivable, but I do feel that in the
UK certainly, there may be a slight change in the way of thinking around
this issue. Police in certain parts of central London are no longer
arresting for possession of cannabis. This is an unofficial stance that many
police in metropolitan areas have adopted.