> Deeper than that in that the south did not want the government
> telling them
> what decisions to make about their economic future, on a wide variety of
> subjects, but the flash point was certainly slavery.  The
> planation owners,
> who were a minority of the southerners, but certainly a vocal minority,
> were extremely concerned about the impact abolition would have on their
> business.

During my genealogical research, I have had the opportunity of reading the
journals of several of my wealthier ancestors, none of which survived the
"War."  In three of the four journals I read, they were in the process of
freeing thier slaves in the 1850s because it made no economic sense to keep
them as slaves.  It became too expensive to keep them healthy in Louisiana.

One ancestor only kept 3 elderly slaves because they refused thier freedom.
He was suprised that they would choose bondage, but they were old and he
treated them as is they were free.  However, he did meet his obligation to
ensure that they were healthy and allowed them to retire on his plantation.

I can't speak for other places or families, but the ancestors I researches
seemed to feel, like many in the South, that slavery was morally wrong.
They also felt they had a obligation to help thier freed slaves become
productive members of the community.

> And lest you think I'm just a loud-mouth carpet-bagger, I'll just let you
> know ahead of time that I'm a 11th generation southerner, with family
> members who were among the first off the boat at Charleston Harbor.

Mine is an old family for Louisiana.  The progenator was a trader on the
French/Spanish frontier.  After his death, his wife moved to the area of
Louisiana known as the German Coast.  On my mother's side, her female
progenator was one of the second ship of casket girls (the first ship's were
whores, etc. deported from Paris, the second and third were second daughters
of the wealthy) and was part of the founding of the Mississippi Gulf Coast
towns.

I understand the feelings of the older families in the South.

> But having declined to re-fight the war in the Middle East, I certainly
> have no desire to re-enact the War Between the States either.

Me neither, I just wanted to express an opinion I formed based upon some
first hand research I did.

> Maureen
> Peace, love and chocolate

Your's in Service,