The purpose of competitive bidding is to force the companies to give their
best price, not to determine qualification.  The companies would have to be
qualified before being allowed to bid.  By not requiring the bidding,
Halliburton was allowed to charge whatever they wanted to charge, which we
now know was inflated way beyond costs to the tune of billions in windfall
profits.