Tiff (who's very involved in animal rescue and other animal related
schtuff) says that often happens when larger dogs do that to smaller
animals -- dogs, cats, squirrels... apparently as a result of the
shaking typically... she also says she's never heard of a vet putting
the eye back in. Doesn't mean they can't or won't, she just hasn't
heard of it, so it can't be very common and I'd expect it'd be fairly
expensive hit-or-miss treatment. It might be that people just don't
opt to spend the money on a slim chance of saving the eye.