I think you might be taking this a touch too literally. I doubt any of us think that a license to use the internet is practical or will ever happen. I doubt we'd ever actually push for such a license in reality either.

But it's nice to have a pipe dream....a world full of mildly informed Internet users.....ahhhhh we would all sleep better at night.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Marlon Moyer
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 2:02 PM
  Subject: RE: On stupidity & Michael Dinowitz

  Back to the license thing....A driver's license doesn't require you to be
  able to perform maintenance on a car.  It doesn't even require that you keep
  your car in tune to avoid polluting those around you.  A drivers license
  only requires that you know how to operate the gas pedal, steering wheel and
  obey traffic signs.  How does this equate to an internet license that would
  require a user to know how to perform maintenance & know how to identify
  infections/scams.  I think you are holding the computer user to a higher
  standard than most any other tool in the world.  I believe you should be
  holding the programmers responsible.

  I'm in the process of building a house right now and when I went to rent a
  bobcat, I received a lot more instructions about safety than when I went to
  buy a computer.   Actually, they told me nothing about firewalls, viruses
  and such.  Additionally, why is it that when you set up WinXP it will
  automatically configure your internet connection but yet, it won't limit the
  connections only to/from windowsupdate.com?  Is that the user's fault?

  <snip>