yeah the pseudo latin used in the spells is a bit annoying. But still. The 
target audience is what, aged 7 through 15 approximately? Nor do I think 
that overly ornate writing is, in and of itself, a good thing. There's a lot 
to be said for the lean and elegant prose of Roger Zelazny or Ed McBain. The 
woman who wrote the sample bit I pasted is actually a friend of mine, but 
she's wrong on this one. 

Dana

 On 7/19/05, Judith Dinowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: 
> 
> I've also read them all (and reread them once or twice.) I enjoy her work, 
> even though I see the tremendous holes in her world and in her plots ... but 
> I like her style and I've grown to like the characters.
> 
> Isaac had said he can't stand the films. You can't really judge from the 
> films -- You should try to at least read the first book.
> 
> Judith
> ----- Original Message -----
> > I've read them all, re-read several of them at least once or twice.
> >
> >
> > >Instead you might say it's a "so-so story that inexplicably gathered 
> one of
> > >the largest audiences in the world". ;^) But even that's wrong because
> > >she's actually a very inventive writer.
> >
> > I like that turn of phrase. She is indeed a very inventive writer. She 
> is an adequate, though not exceptional, wordsmith. She really understands 
> the theme of childhood angst that permeates the earlier books, especially 
> the first one.
> >
> > As to whether her work should be considered literature, I could scrawl a 
> few paragraphs on some bathroom tissue and call it literature. But is is 
> serious literature? Can sci-fi/fantasy as genres be serious literature? 
> H.G. Wells, Lewis Carroll, Ray Bradbury, Ayn Rand. All writers of serious 
> literature. Does Rowling belong in their company? I don't think so. Her work 
> is inventive, fun, and occasionally dark, but she's no great philosopher 
> like Rand. She doesn't offer keen insights into the wickedness inside the 
> human heart like Bradbury. And her work just plain isn't as good as theirs.
> >
> > But I still like it!
> >
> >
> 
> 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Discover CFTicket - The leading ColdFusion Help Desk and Trouble 
Ticket application

http://www.houseoffusion.com/banners/view.cfm?bannerid=48

Message: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=i:5:165618
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/threads.cfm/5
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=s:5
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.5
Donations & Support: http://www.houseoffusion.com/tiny.cfm/54

Reply via email to