I just wanted to thank all of you guys for the sound advice.  I met with
the boss about this and she and I are going to try some of the things
you've suggested.

Just to set the record straight - I don't mind this guy's enthusiasm, I
just don't know how to reel it in so that it is constructive rather than
destructive.

I'll keep the list updated.  I guess this is just as good for me as it
is for him.  I've got to learn how to deal with difficult people in my
professional life someday.  In all the positions I've ever held to this
point in my life, I've been the guy low on the totem pole.  Not that I'm
any bigwig or anything, but I'm the programmer guy in the office with
the most seniority, so now I have to help out with the newbies.  Fun for
all!

Thanks!

Ray