Jerry Johnson wrote:
> Ray, I will tell you from personal experience it is very rewarding
> when you can help someone grow. (Mr. Doom, shut it! =))

I will not.  I'm way smarter than you, 'cause I'm younger, and new is
better.  You don't know what you're talking about.

:-)

> I have met some wonderful people that way, and I think I helped them
> become who they are today
>
> I see the task like a magnifying glass. It is the mentor's job to
> focus the boundless energy and do something useful with it.

Not to disagree, but this depends on the person being willing to learn
to be useful.  Maybe (hopefully) the guy will.

Maybe I'm cynical because I'm the son of an ex-professor, and I saw a
lot of kids come through who you couldn't teach because they didn't want
to learn.  To me, someone who comes in willing to be mentored (that word
looks wrong) is a gem: to be treasured, but unfortunately rare.

> The best tool I have found with this type of individual is a little
> doubt (it also worked great on me). Just let them know you don't think
> they can learn something, or can't do it right or quickly.

Actually, that's probably brilliant advice.  I'm surprised someone so
old and experienced could come up with that.  :->

--Ben