Employees may not have had any choice but to put retirement money into
Enron's stock, but they did have a choice as to where to work.  I'd
bet most of those employees could have found work elsewhere if they
wanted to.  But the real problem is the breakdown in the implied moral
and ethical contract that an employee has with it's employer.  The
guys at the top screwed them over, and that could happen to anyone at
any company and not just Enron.  Even a company with a totally
diversified pension fund can have it stolen and abused by crooks.

If there is any catching of the problem when it's small, it's not
helping poor Bob out, it's making sure companies maintain the
transparency required to catch the problem when it's small at the
origin (the crooks).

At any rate I really think that a safety net is an important part of
our civilized society, but it must be made an absolute last resort.
Poor granny out on the street may have made some poor decisions in her
life, but she's in not position to fix them at this point, and likely
not capable of earning an income on her own either.  She should
probably be helped out.

Poor Bob who lost his job at Enron may or may not have made some poor
decisions in his life but if he's still able to earn an income, he
should be getting that new job and earning that living elsewhere.
Bob's by no means at the last resort stage and while he may need a
kick in the pants financially, we as a society are under no obligation
to bail him out and collectively bring him back up to any standard of
living above "here's some food, now go get a job, we'll help you find
one if you need it".

Sure we could try to educate the poor Bobs out there so that they
don't become poor old men with nothing to their name, but when push
comes to shove, you can't force people to do something they don't want
to do.  And besides, someone's gotta work the drive through at the
McDonald's and if everyone in the country has an MBA, then an MBA will
be taking your order.

-Cameron