>And that's perfectly fine - those with
>the means should, without guilt, spend their money however they like.

But this is a big part of the problem. People that *do* have the means to make
a difference don't bother, because they spend their money "however they like"
regardless of the environmental impacts. They buy big energy guzzling cars that
they don't need, just because they can afford them and the costs associated.
And because sadly, there seems to be some status associated with owning such
cars. I don't think that *should* be guilt-free. Many times for instance,
people can easily afford a hybrid SUV or sedan over the regular model they buy,
but they don't care to pay the extra cost.

>The options clearly exist: you're just not willing make changes or
>compromise on particular aspects.  Again, this is fine - but don't cite lack
>of options (or ignorance of them) as deciding factors.

Again, I have a hard time saying that it is "fine". Obviously everyone has the
right to make their own choices and decisions, but if someone has the means and
knowledge to contribute to lessening the problem, and still does nothing,
that's pretty sad. I doubt that if there are some major environmental effects
in the years to come that our children and grandchildren would look back and
say, "it's fine that you didn't bother to do anything, that was your choice."

--- Mary Jo