On 1/8/07, Jim Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You are in fact not saying "There's no way!"  You're saying "There's no way
> that I'll accept."

I think this really represents the crux of the problem.  Convincing
everyone on the planet to reduce their usage.  Reducing the power
consumption incandescent lights generate by the 5% they represent will
require 100% participation, and that's just for a 5% improvement!

While it's certainly noble to attack the problem from both the supply
and consumption sides, getting real traction on the consumption side
requires time for those ideas to sink in.  'cause you aren't going to
convince everyone on the planet to just go out and buy compact
fluorescents, turn down their heat, and drive less tomorrow.

Getting people to change their behavior and consumption habits - these
are all great ideas, but that's all slow adoption stuff and not "big
impact" stuff.  Still absolutely worth perusing over the long term and
part of the solution overall.

The problem also lives on the supply side, and it's really the supply
side that can change quickly if we care for it to.  From the power
grid side of things for example, you can effectively offset HUGE
numbers of wasteful consumption with a new wind, solar or hydro
station.  From the auto side, when the auto industry starts offering
cars that are more efficient, and then sell a million of them in a
year - that's a big impact.  From the fuel side, when better fuel tech
is available and put into cars, then sold in the millions, that a huge
impact.

Really, looking 100 years out, it's conceivable that the "don't
consume as much" argument will reverse itself and we can consume as
much as we want.  If we find energy that's cheap enough to produce
without any environmental impact (ie: a solar panel the size of your
car's roof that can power the car all day).

Tackling energy supply is what interests me the most for sure.  Yeah,
I'm still going to use compact fluorescents and do other things that
save energy in the meantime, but for the entire planet to solve this
problem we really need to start developing better products, fuels and
energy sources.

-Cameron