The hybrid highlander with the tow group would run about 36k, which is about
10k more than my escape v6 limited. That is more than just being able to
care about the environment. If I compare them similarly equipped it is about
13k more.

I would love be able to pay the extra 10k-13k, but I can't afford that much
for a car, or the increased insurance. It isn't a econ vs environment. The
environmental question doesn't get to come up because it is too expensive.

I would love for the federal and state governments to pass laws that
required government agencies to purchase hybrid and fuel efficient cars,
create a demand for them, and the supply will follow. If they had a good
reason for not doing it, then fine, I understand that Tanks, trucks, police
cruisers, and armored limo's probably still need to run on gas. But there
are plenty of motor pool cars these groups use to get to other buildings and
places that could and should be replaced with hybrids.