On 1/8/07, Mary Jo Sminkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That's a big difference in our country versus others. The efficiency
> requirements in other countries demand that the cars be more fuel
> efficient. Not so here.

The biggest difference is (over)regulation vs free markets.  In the
US, as prices have gone up, huge research into alternate fuels has
begun.  Some regulatory requirements for efficient fuels make sense,
but I would caution ANY more government involvement in our personal
lifestyle choices than is really needed.  We're pretty far down that
slippery slope already.  There are plenty of things that can be done
to encourage conservation and alternative fuel research without
impacting our personal freedoms.  There's a huge difference between
MAKING someone do Something Good and making the Something Good so
attractive/cheap/cool that you WANT it.

> And some people do predict we will see that a hundred years from
> now. In the meantime, we just need to do what we can to slow the
> progress of the damage until we get there.

....we do need people talking about how to modify our behaviors to
reduce the impact of our consumption.  It's not an either or thing.
So you go girl.

-Cameron