I have not especially noticed any attacks on atheism. Perhaps they went
under my radar tho; I tend to disregard any discussion of isms anymore. But
I don't see a lot of religious discussion here either and I would think I
would notice.

Being as Sean is from Belfast I can understand his feelings on the subject;
but a majority of the religious people I have know are sincerely trying to
do the right thing. The harm comes where they are told that the right thnig
is to vote for yon corrupt politician or to firebomb that clinic (we just
had one of those here, though the religious link is not yet demonstrated) or
for that matter to take a gun and kill so and so who worships a different
way.

I've lived in the Bible Belt and found even the very fundamentalist really
don't preach; tho they may invite you to services. The horror :) They do
tend to want to "save" your children. This bothered me a bit and might be
part of what you are going through. On  the whole though, children are wiser
than we think.

my .02