Yeah... I definitely think I've become thinner-skinned since the move (from
Boston to Scranton).

It just wasn't a real issue there.  I don't think that atheists were really
more common there (although maybe) but there was definitely a broader sense
of inclusion in general.

I was no less passionate about my beliefs but at the same time I didn't feel
such a need to pronounce them.

For example public schools here get out 1/2 early every Tuesday.  This was
originally because the diocese had religion classes on Tuesdays.  Although
now there's no "official" reason (wink, wink).

Although it was (so far) a one-time deal my son came home crying once
because the other kids wouldn't stop telling him that he was going to Hell.

It's not like we've got villagers with pick-forks here or anything but
there's definitely an undercurrent.  For the most part, the far larger part,
I actually really like it here: my kids are generally happy, have lots more
room and it's rare (but poignant) when religion causes any real concern...
but there's definitely a different vibe.

Jim Davis