"Worship"?  How so?

I am strident in my conviction, yes... but I'm not understanding how
"Worship" enters into it.

We've been bouncing around several themes here over the past few weeks:

+) That exposure to atheism is "bad" for children and (as a corollary) that
atheists are using underhanded means to "recruit" children.

+) That morality is primarily religious in nature and that atheism provides
no moral foundation.

I make no apologies for passionately disagreeing with either stance.

Atheism, by its very nature, is a reflective stance. Atheism only exists
because of religion.  It exists to give meaning to a belief (that there is
no God).  I won't argue otherwise.  Because of this Atheism is often
mistaken as fundamentally religious in nature, but this is a mistake.

The purpose of any religion is to gain followers thus strengthening and
spreading the religion.  Although there is no truly organized "recruiting"
policy (despite what the Catholic League might say) Atheism is similar in
that respect: clearly, to an atheist, a world with more atheists would be
nicer.

However looking at the conclusive points shows a dramatically different
result.

Atheism's ultimate purpose (if it can be said to have one) is - in a sense -
to eliminate atheism.  Atheism is ultimately self-effacing.  In other words
if atheism were universal there would be no need for atheism.  Just as we
don't have a social movement declaring the color of sky we wouldn't need
atheism: facts don't need movements to remain facts.

A universal religion, however, would retain itself forever.  Under universal
Catholicism, for example, mass would still be held, churches would still
exist.  Religion requires action to exist, atheism does not.

In short religion requires worship to exist, atheism does not.  That's not
to say that people couldn't worship it... and I'm curious how you think I
do.

I also want to be clear about another thing that often gets confused:
Atheism is not "anti-religion".  Atheism is a declaration that no
supernatural God exists.  That's it.  Atheists can be surprisingly pro
religion in many ways.  I personally am BOTH an atheist AND against religion
(on principle) - they do fit together nicely but neither requires the other.

Finally... why should I read the book?  From a cursory glance it seems to
have nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand.  Although this one
does seem (somewhat) above the norm I'm also more than sick of the word
"quantum" being applied to metaphysical claptrap... and to medical quackery
and to the paranormal and to just about anything that makes no sense but
sounds vacantly smarter when you say it's in a "Quantum state".

The book may be great but my stomach for quantum physics applied to anything
but physics is pretty weak.
;^)

Still, I'm curious why it think it would be useful in this area.

Jim Davis