So then I am back to the fact that I think that type of problem (sending
out checks) is so mundane and easy to solve that I don't care if it's
been considered.

As for the question about it being fair - is it fair that we give the
government less money?  Fairtax is designed to reduce the total amount
of taxes that citizens of the USA pay into the system.  This means that
the total tax burden goes down.  It goes down for a few reasons...  1)
Less money is required to run the government because you have eliminated
a certain portion of it (the IRS). Is this fair?  Hell yes.  2) Less
money is required from US residents because visitors from overseas are
also "paying taxes" when they buy things in the US and are paying some
of the burden.  Is this fair?  I think so.  It's fair that our taxes go
down as a whole.  It's also good for the country and the economy as a
whole, improving many more incomes simply as a side effect of improved
economy.

But I don't think you are focused on the reduction, only the potential
increase for certain individuals. So yes, some individuals will see
their taxes go up as a result.  The most severe increases will be seen
in industries where income currently isn't reported.  These are folks
such as criminals, drug dealers, illegal aliens.  Now, I'm not saying
that the tax system is passing judgement on them.  On the contrary, it
doesn't even attempt to identify them - they simply get taxed at the
same rate as the rest of us when they buy the same things as the rest of
us.  Many of these folks will not get their prebates either, because
they are not here legally or don't want to be identified, which I guess
makes it even worse for those folks.  Maybe you think that's not fair,
but I think it's fair.

So that really leaves one other biggish group - who get alot of tax
exemptions, tax rules created for certain special interests.  These are
mostly tax credits introduced as a tool to influence behavior and
encourage people to do certain things.  Buy a house?  Get a credit.  Go
to school? Get a credit.  Have a kid?  Get a credit.  I don't really
have any objections to the motivations behind these exceptions.  They
are a noble attempt to control people and make them do things that are
good for them.  However, this is also one of the biggest problems with
the current tax code.  There are so many exemptions and special
interests involved that it's really become a huge mess.  Those things
need to go.  You may enjoy getting these exceptions, but they are
wrecking the system and making it more and more complex every year.
These are a problem?  Yes these are a HUGE part of the problem.  Is it
fair that they are tossed?  Yes it is.  It is fair that some people get
a tax credit because they did something the government wants to reward a
specific group for?  No, not fair.

-Cameron