::shrug:: while taxes may fund social programs, they are not a social
program in and of themselves. Some parts of the current tax policy,
such as the EIC and tax credits for oil exploration, may amount to
subsidies, but taxes are not a subsidy.

Or, if you insist on using the word in this sense, we can say that
your proposed solution would subsidize a lower tax rate for yourself.

You may think you are being really objective, but what I hear is
someone who is really angry and focused on his tax bill.

As for credentials -- ha. I don't have a four-year degree but I am one
of those people who has been going to school forever. I've taken
freshman and intermediate macroeconomics and honors microeconomics.
Also finance, more recently. In addition, some of my honors classes
involved readings from Karl Marx, Frederick Engels, Adam Smith and
John Ruskin. I've taken other classes at specifically on the
Industrial Revolution, the British Raj, and 20th century US foreign
policy, which is where I learned about United Fruit, now there's a
subsidy for ya :) Talk about an analogy for our times.

I don't subscribe to any print publications but I read Bloomberg and
the Wall Street Journal on a regular basis as well as anyone else who
happens to have an interesting story in the Business section of Google
News, and I have several alerts set on Marketwatch. I also follow Fed
policy fairly closely. So go patronize someone else.

I'll admit to not reading the book but I am not the sort of fluff-head
that you seem to want to argue with ;) As I mentioned, my time is
really maxed out and I at least am asking questions about it... or was
until you got so angry and defensive.

Don't worry about it any more; I have seen enough. And now that I am
off this morning I still need to move a houseful of furniture and do a
final edit on someone;s article.

Dana