I am not sure why Adam thinks you are arguing intelligently. To me it
seems as though I am having a discussion about economics with someone
who knows nothing about the subject and does not want to learn. I do
not think that a progressive tax rate is generally considered a
subsidy. But supposing it was:

In many instances, economics may (somewhat counter-intuitively)
suggest that direct subsidies are preferable to other forms of
support, such as hidden subsidies or trade barriers; although
subsidies may be inefficient, they are often less inefficient than
other policy tools used to benefit certain groups. Direct subsidies
may also be more transparent, which may allow the political process
more opportunity to eliminate wasteful hidden subsidies. This problem
- that hidden subsidies are more inefficient, but often favored
precisely because they are non-transparent - is central to the
political-economy of subsidies.

Examples of industries or sectors where subsidies are often found
include utilities, gasoline in the United States, welfare, farm
subsidies, and (in some countries) certain aspects of student loans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidy