> gg wrote:
>  Therefore
>  ----------------
>  What's left in Iraq is criminal activity and a security matter for a
>  foreign region and a foreign government.

Which means that since there is no war, there can be no illegal combatants.

Q: So how do we fight international terrorism directed against US
citizens or interests?

A: With primarily Special Forces in cooperation with the foreign
governments.  When there is not cooperation with foreign governments
we take action in its absence and should those nations dispute our
right to protect ourselves with any type of arms against US property
or personnel, we declare war against those governments.

In short, diplomacy is the carrot and war is the stick.

That type of push-pull policy is not possible if out military is
providing security for a foreign government rather than enforcing and
demanding American security.