The XBox 360 has completely run out of goodwill from me.

I've playing (and really enjoying) "Mass Effect"... I've put in about 30
hours and I've just hit a major climatic point in the story... and the
freakin' XBox (my THIRD ONE) dies on me.

I thought it was actually a bad disc since I'm (for once) getting no Red
Ring of Death but instead just get a black screen and no error message, but
every game disc does it (basic functions and non-disc games work fine).

So now it's run through Circuit City's protection plan policy (which means
sending in a request, getting a box sent back, sending in the unit then
waiting for a replacement).

My first unit broke while I was playing "Oblivion".  My second during "Gears
of War" and now this one.  The damn things work great until some game
actually grabs enough to want to play for more than a few hours.

So far my history has been:

1) Bought the first one soon after release.  Not many games so I spent a
long time playing "Uno".

2) First one broke playing "Oblivion" about 6 months after I got it, Red
Ring of Death.  Called MS, told it only has a 90 day warranty and it would
be $140 to fix it.   Told that since it was out of warranty already there
was no problem if I wanted to try and fix it myself.

3) Fumed for several months.  Finally tried to fix it myself (resetting
heatsinks).  Failed.

4) Fumed for another month.  MS announced extended warranties and
grandfathered repairs.  Sent mine in to be fixed.  Had it sent back as
"Tampered with" - they won't touch it.  Argued that THEY SAID I COULD TOUCH
IT!  Told that the RMA department can SAY whatever they like but the repair
department has the final say and won't touch it.

5) Fumed for a while.  "Gear of War" comes out... convinces me to buy
another one (a core unit this time since I have all the extra gear already).
This one fails within a month.  I return it to Circuit City under the
"Basic" return policy.

6) Last one works for nearly a year... until I start playing "Mass Effect",
now it bombs.  Circuit City has a "one return" policy - if I want the new
one covered I need to buy ANOTHER extended plan!

So far XBox 360 has cost me nearly $900 just in consoles and warranties.  Of
course I also have a significant investment in games, accessories and LIVE
payments... so just plain shit-canning the whole mess is painful as hell as
well.

But I will never buy another 360 game that even has a chance of making it to
the PS3 or PC again.

Just needed to vent.

Jim Davis