And you don't have to do a thing, until you check in.

It's fine for them to book, and that's what I meant by the concierge my
friend has to go thru (they get a corporate kickback and some perks) -
however, when you check in, whether it's flying, driving, or sleeping ...
you use your points card.

"Sir/Miss/Maam, here's my valuable customer service rewards account number
and card. Please ensure my stay/flight/drive gets credited."

And voila. You get your points. Has worked every time. He's even gotten his
co-workers rooms credited to his hotel rewards account.

And let me tell you - the reward programs, especially if you travel, are
worth every hassle. I stayed an entire week for free at decent mid-level
Marriott, from points received over the previous year.