> So far, my daughter Emily (age 6) has lost two fish, a caterpillar, a cat,
> and a pet gerbil.

Its been very hard on my son losing his dog and his fish.

> We had the gerbil for about 18 months after "rescuing" it from her
> preschool, who couldn't keep it anymore.  We had a little funeral service
> for the gerbil, and from time to time, Emily says a little prayer for her
> still.
>
> The cat died when emily was only 2-3 years old so she doesn't really
> remember him.

Kavik died when monk was just two, but he still talks about him and his
death.  I suppose it was like losing a brother because Kavik played with him
all the time.

> Ripley, a sheltie who is 9 years old, and our cat Murray, who is about 3
> years old I think.  All in good health.  I don't expect the turtle to live
> long.
>
> If Ripley lives to "old age" of 15-20, Emily will be a teenager - or
> nearly
> so - when that happens.

Do tell about the Box turtle. I want one.  high maintenance?  I hear turtle
crap sucks.

do shelties live to 20??
my god, i've been choosing the wrong breeds.