On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Robert Munn wrote:
> Big reputation, you mean. Those same people doing the work at Bain,
> McKenzie, etc. could go out on their own without any professional
> contacts, and they would never be able to bill the kind of rates that
> the top firms bill. Our industry works exactly the same way. Same
> work, same people, different rates based on who is doing the billing.

I don't know if I agree with that.

I say social engineering a lot for things that it probably doesn't
apply to, but if you're good, you're good.

Maybe you just strap on a suit and walk on in, you know?  It's
happened, I heard the stories.
The proof is in the pudding, either way.

Contacts aren't going to do your work for you.  Hmmm.. but Contacts
*will* get you everything in this world, and maybe with that team
aspect...  eh.

What are you really reliant on?

At first, and at the lowest, all we've got is ourselves.  Willpower and all.

What have you got to show for yourself?  What can you do?

Direct example:  I'm making pennies compared to what I could be
pulling down.  When I decide to make the jump, you can be sure I'll be
making a good bit more than I am now, because of what I know, and what
I can do.  If not via a "team", than on my own.

Again, the proof is in the pudding, not the bowl, which is more of a container.

Plus, can you *believe* the kind of money some folks make (especially
in our industry), without really having the freaking wherewithal?
Imagine what someone who actually knows what they're doing is capable
of!  There's tons of money flowing around every second, it's not
really that impossible to get.
Legitimately, even.

Shit, guess it's about that time... reminds me of skydiving, sorta.

What the hell, this is a good spot.

--
I find the selectivity of erotic love - the choice of this man or this
woman - much more intelligible if liking the person is the origin of