On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Casey Dougall wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Dana wrote:
>> I don't believe in mommy-track feminism.
>>
>> Dana
>
> yeah. I might not think she's the right person for the position but the
> whole family thing is getting out of hand.
>
> Oh and lets not forget all the single mom's out there. I could just see the
> headlines now. How could a women run for public office when she needs to
> take care of her kids first.
>
> My mom raised me by herself. Very little around family to help out and I
> turned out just fine. Did the fact that she was working two jobs and taking
> night classes make her a bad parent? I don't think so kids.

I don't think part of my point is getting across here-- it's not about
"mommy" being around, it's about "parents" being around.

This is probably even "truer" for men than for women.  Did my Cat's in
the cradle, and a silver spoon reference not mean squat?  The
reference to the movie about the kid in military school?  Sheesh.

Do people "make do" all the fscking time?  Sure!  It's what we do.  Get by.

But if you think that it's *optimal*, you're nuttier than I am.

And for the record, I'm using this as an example to talk about
families, not about this chick in specific(At least not like /that/).
How often am I directly talking about the subject line?  Man.

I'm interested in what people think about raising kids, in general,
and used this thread to get there.

Sure, there are "problems", but do you think that how you raise your
kids might have something to do with, at least a little, the problems
they get into?

I love free will, so I never even blame the parent 100%, but I think a
general lack of parenting, and letting things like T.V. keep 'em busy,
or w/relatives all the time, or whatever, is part of the problem.

Let me be totally clear here:  I wish *everyone* could stay home with
their kids and raise them, for sure for those first few years, but
ideally for ever.  To a certain extend.  Moms and Dads (or partners)
need their own time, as well as their own separate time, to be
healthy.

Heh.  Guess that's a "liberal" sentiment, eh?  Fine, I'm a liberal.
(Probably more like progressive, but what the hell, labels are
bullshit anyways)

--
You, who are on the road must have a code that you can live by.
And so become yourself because the past is just a good bye.

And you, of the tender years can't know the fears that your elders grew by,
And so please help them with your youth, they seek the truth before
they can die.
Teach your parents well, their children's hell will slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams, the one they fix,the one you'll know by.
Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.
- a song by some band