I think this is the heart of the problem.
Believers think we're not doing anything and non-believers think
you'll shut down all the factories and ban beer and soda.

We are working on cleaner technologies at a responsible pace. Not at a
panicked pace. Gore admitted he's lied to cause a panicked reaction to
achieve quicker results. That's what the non-believers want to avoid.
We want to be cleaner and more efficient and less dependent on foreign
oil, but we don't want to starve the masses by burning the food supply
or moving factories to countries that don't care about mercury in the
air. It's important that we improve on pollutants rather than ban and
forget.