> Judah wrote:
> that part of the contract and all the issues surrounding are not "just
> a freaking contract".

I'm not getting how that's the case here Judah.

For example, I have a friend who hired a recruiter because he wanted a
specific type of job and he agreed to pay them 10% of his negotiated
salary for 3 years.  Now this big time firm placed him, got their
dough, and then offered to help him with coaching and other stuff and
he did that.  He pays a monthly fee for a service package.

I have a lot of union friends.  They pay their periodic dues.  This
gets them a negotiated pay package as well as other benefits such as
representation in disputes, training opportunities, certifications,
etc.

Those are all employment and service contacts and in a free society we
should all be free to enter into contracts or not.

If a company requires a contract we don't like - whether it be union
or no  - then we can decline that contract.

So I agree that the contractual process is not trivial, but it also
doesn't principally change the concept does it?