maybe it is, but in my opinion there are people who at certain times in
their lives should not be in college.

I think I say that for different reasons than the author though...his
argument seems to be essentially elitist. Mine is more practical. What is
the value to society or to the student of four years of drinking? If that is
where someone is headed, he/she should unclutter the halls of academe and
find something to do that actually interests him or her. Nor do I think that
an arts and sciences education is the only thing to do in college.

But in my opinion many college students simply mark time. Too often it
becomes an extension of the worst of high school and teaches exactly the
wrong behaviors for later life.