>From talking to actual Canadians who use the system every day and talking to
actual Brits, and talking people who live in a few other countries where
they have socialized medicine...while it may not be perfect (what system
is?)...it is far better than what we have now in the US. When you have no
more barriers to getting preventive care, you detect issues earlier, which
also means, in most cases, it's also a lot cheaper to treat and it also
reduces the amounts of people going to ER's for issues that should be
getting retaken care of in the doctors offices.  Plus, with a single system
of payment, it removes the layers and layers of complexity that doc's
offices have to deal with for payment.  There are a lot of cost reductions
in socialized medicine that do offset a lot of the increases in costs that
the government picks up by sponsoring health care.

I think the biggest deception in this whole issue is that opponents of
healthcare have convinced the teabaggers that there is a difference between
paying a premium to them and paying your premiums via taxes.  The only
difference there is who is getting paid.  So if you taxes go up and you no
longer have to pay an insurance premium (in the case of single payer), there
really is no logical difference in what is happening with your money.  With
single payer, there is a good possibility that because this would be spread
out amongst a much larger pool of people, that what you are paying may be
considerably less.  So meanwhile the dumbass teabaggers, who have been duped
into bitching about resultant tax hikes form this, keep screaming about
taxes, the insurance company is laughing at their rubes all the way to the
bank.

Personally...I would rather pay the government and know that I can get
treatment without going bankrupt than deal with the insurance companies and
hospitals, knowing tat I will have to declare bankruptcy to deal with all my
medical bills since I don't have access to insurance(which is something I am
facing right now).

Eric