And what I said still stands - search engines will not have any issues
finding the right domain for a site - regardless of whether or not its
in a different sub-domain.

Makes sense to me what you are saying about the content being part of
the 'main' site - which is why I also stated some people prefer to put
their blog on a different sub-domain.

I would  say that different sub-domains are treated as different
sites, rather than different domains, than the main site. But that
brings up the question: if blog.mysite,com is seen as a different
site/domain than mysite.com, is www.mysite.com treated the same way?