I disagree wholeheartedly, and with some digging through the SEO forums and
webmaster world, there's plenty of documented instances of this exact setup
versus TLD setups.

Here's one person's experience:
http://www.jonwaraas.com/sub-domains-for-seo-is-no-good/
WebMasterWorld.coom has a bunch more.

Here's a post (unfortunately it's from 2007 - when crap really started to
hit the fan because of SPAM sub's) from a Google guy about their changes in
algorythms regarding subdomains:
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/subdomains-and-subdirectories

It'll be up to you all to draw your own conclusions faced with the research
and examples presented.

In my personal experience, handling blogs and subdomains for the last 7
years, doing Adsense work, SEO work and traffic metrics, a new TLD has
always been far more affective, and LONG STANDING than a subdomain.

Wasn't the case in 2004-2005 where I had THOUSANDS of subdomains getting
successful search engine love, but then Google changes their ways, and they
all dropped. And no - there was no shenanigans going on. All organically
handled and naturally grown sites.

Subdomains (or hosts really) were beneficial for several reasons: didn't
have to spend money registering and hosting a separate site, it could share
cookies with the TLD, it kept branding "clear", it could share files. Etc.

As far as taking quite some time? Define what you think is "some time". You
can have several thousand visitors to a blog in the space of 30-60 days done
right. Organically. Nothing fancy or underhanded.

Of course - everyone's mileage will vary. I only give you my personal
everyday experience, and there's 1000's of ways to do this thing called the
world wide web.

:)

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Justin Scott
<jscott-li...@gravityfree.com>wrote:

> > I am curious, if search engines see a sub-domain as a
> > sparate domain, what benefit is there of using this
> > method over just using a sub-domain?
>
> None.  It would be essentially the same.  Erika cited links pointing back
> the main site as the reason why, but it's flawed thinking.

<snip>