Because google (and others) give "higher weight" to top level domains rather
than sub domains.
Because SE ranking is all about linking and fresh content.

Therefore if your goal is widespread traffic, search engine juice, and
ranking, it's better to have a totally separate TLD.

Search engines realized ages ago that many people set up tons of sub domains
with pointless content for the sake of backlinks... which led sub.domains to
lose their "juice" even if they are treated separately.