Again, it depends on what the person who runs the blog wants. If they
want the content to be separate, then blog.mysite.com would be the
best choice.

Not sure I can come up with a reason why this would be the case, but I
have seen it and even done it for clients.

I wonder if a sitemap on main site, linking to blog.mysite.com would help?